Tuesday, June 17, 2008

2 Beds and a Coffee Machine

. In Australia, no where sells COFFEE. just plain darn coffee. Its always latte, cappuccino, etc. WHERE IS THE COFFEE? AND how hard is it to make my green tea iced tea with one pump chai? Seriously. Even Starbucks isn't the same.
. Everything closes at 6pm (the shops that is). SAY WHAT?!?!
. There are school kids everywhere. And they all where uniforms (that are rather cute, actually).
. Everyone here shops for groceries with totes! Save the planet. ^_^
. SO MANY HATCHBACK CARS! And no SUVs! I guess its also ... save the planet!

So, I decided to update based on the locations I visited. So for the first few days I was in Melbourne. 3 days to be exact!

A few pointers - its actually really easy for me to get into the CBD (Central Business District - they say that instead of Downtown here). I'll explain as I go along.

So ... Flinders Street Station ... looks a little Londonish right? This is basically the central tram station.

Counter corner is the beautiful St. Paul's Cathedral!
So the first day, before I got a tram pass, I took the lovely free tourist shuttle which would drive me around the city (granted, it would take an hour to do the loop - but its FREE).
The Shrine of Remembrance. When walking into the city, I pass this monument which is dedicated to the soldiers who were sent to fight in WWI.
Lest We Forge.t ..

A view from on the balcony of the shrine.
Now, on my way into the CBD, I pass the Royal Botanical Gardens, which my cousin lives right next to. Its a BEAUTIFUL garden, and my favorite place is the Temple of the Winds/Greys Garden.
I've also been exploring the random shopping areas ... AND LOOK WHAT I FOUND! ^_^ Of course I went in.

JAY! LOOK! YUM.

St. Kilda Beach!
Even though its winter, the water wasn't FREEZING. (No I did not go in)

Proof that I'm in the southern hemisphere.
LOOK LOOK I'm touching SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE WATER! ^_^

and ...
holy sheet that was a lot for three days right? yuppp... there's more! ^_^

3 comments:

lisa said...

yay, a post! i have been checking this journal every day! glad that you're doing well, i miss you. <3

nk said...

oh SEAL. SUPER CUTE :) I LOVE YOU! want to skype me?!?!?!

majormojo said...

It's me San San (FYI). You make Melbourne look so pretty :)... I'm suprised I live here!

Haha... with you with the coffee. Sigh. It's nice to read about the peculiarity of the place you're living in from another person's point of view. I made all these observations as well when I was still new here but I guess over time, the peculiarity didn't seem so peculiar anymore! :)


Hope you got home safe and sound and thanks for being such great sport while here. Hope this trip will at least give you some good memories! Keep the posts coming!